Days three and four of our touristy trip were based around the wonderful sites in Wiltshire. I have to admit that I’ve not been down that way and done the touristy thing for years – I think the last time was about 15 years ago. So needless to say I was very, very excited about our impending trip. So here’s what we got up to on our trip to Wiltshire:
- The Royal Baths – These are absolutely fascinating. The stonework is so intricate and beautiful and I find it amazing that the baths have survived, intact for such a long time. Even if they were hidden for quite a while. The colour of the water and stone carvings was so unusual and beautiful too. Once again we had brilliant audio guides, so that was once again fascinating.
- The Abbey – Isn’t it a lovely looking building? We didn’t go into it but we ate our picnic in its shadow and it really was beautiful to see it from the Royal Baths.
- The Royal Crescent – this street is absolutely gorgeous and I’m always amazed when I see pictures of it. I can’t believe it’s so absolutely perfect.
- We stayed at a beautiful hotel in Limpley Stoke – check out the stunning views from our bedroom window. Also there was a gorgeous little pub just a stones throw away from it, which was perfect for dinner. Sometimes you just can’t beat a quaint English country pub.
- Stonehenge – Whilst I can appreciate how impressive these stones are, as to move anything of that size in the time that they did is quite a feat, I just don’t understand what it’s all about. Was it a form of calendar, totally fluke or something else entirely. I can’t stand the ambiguity, I need to know. Anyway it was good to see Stonehenge and I’m glad it wasn’t too expensive, but I really wish it hadn’t been raining the entire time. I’m not sure my Aztec pumps will ever be the same again!
- Marlborough – We stopped off at Marlborough on our way home and it’s such a beautiful little market town. Plus there was a gorgeous food market on at the time, so we of course treated ourselves to cake and cheese. The smoked mozzarella is insanely good and I’ve been enjoying it ever since!